Friday, September 26, 2008

Buzzzz......

I finished The Secret Lies of Bees last night and now I am working on Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich. I would have started the Friday Night.... but I ended up having to stay at my mom's last night. Luke woke up screaming and he did not settle down well. Everytime I thought he was asleep he would start in again. I think he is just having a hard time adjusting. He woke up Johnny, thankfully Caitlin slept through. I had to sleep in my clothes because I had nothing there and I didn't think Caitlin's princess pj's would fit me! We are slumber partying here tonight, so hopefully it will be a better night for Luke. The good news is that they went into school easier today. I wonder if any of them are spending recess in time out. Gabe has been staying with my sister, so I see him for just a few minutes a day. It sucks! Hopefully he will be here tonight. I miss him! Night Terrors and all!

So the bee book was really good. It is set in the civil rights movement time, right when Black Americans are given the right to vote. It is a very moving story. The language is a bit surprising, but remember the time period of the book. The use of the "n" word and reading negro instead of African-American or Black was strange. I would read this book again in a heartbeat.
"Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted black "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the deepest racists in town, Lily decides to spring them both free. They escape to Tiburon, South Carolina - a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters, Lily is introduced to their mesmerizing world of bees and honey, and the Black Madonna."
Thank you Wikipedia for a review almost as disappointing as mine would have been.
Anyways, I reccommend this book to all.
I need to go work on packing. Thank you to those who sent me your addresses and birthdates and anniversaries. YOU WILL ALL BE GETTING CARDS! I won't mention the names of those who didn't, but I don't think that Cheryl wants any mail!

Oh, by the way, my absolute doll of a husband brought me home a bouquet of roses today. He thought that I deserved them for all we have been going through. Sean is not a flower kind of guy, he writes me little ditties or brings me my favorite trashy magazine. I was touched by his thoughtfulness. So even though you don't read this - I LOVE YOU SEAN!

Have a great day!

To quote the great Dr. Sidney Friedman "Ladies and Gentleman take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Anyone know where that's from?

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I sent you my address and stuff and sonya's too!!

Amanda said...

Oh Cheryl-You were the first one!!! I suck! I am so sorry!

Cheryl said...

just send me my card already!!

Char said...

Wow, I am going to read that book! It sounds great!
I love your song on here. I leave it up until it is done playing. :)

I'm glad you will all (hopefully) be together tonight. That has to be hard not to see Gabe!! Is he atleast enjoying his time at your sisters?
I can't wait to get my card. :)
How sweet of Sean! Wow!!

Crystal said...

Girl, I seriously don't get how you find the time to send us cards!!! You always do without fail for every occasion........I think that's amazing and so thoughtful! I need to get better at doing that too! Love you, hope your night was better!

That book sounds awesome....I love learning anything I can about black history.