Saturday, May 10, 2008

Uncle Bryan had a farm E-I-E-I-O

Today we took the kids and Carmen and Scarlett to my brother in laws farm. We had the best time! They only live a few miles down the road, but we never go to see the animals. Today we did just that. We started with the chickens. They were not that exciting, but entertained the kids. Then we went to the main barn and saw the cows! There was a 5 day old calf named All-star that the kids got to pet, hug, pester.... They were so funny to watch. We played with the cows for a bit and then went to see the goats. There were 5 babies, I guess they were more toddlers. They had blue eyes - I think it's the breed- and the sweetest faces. One of them kept sucking on my fingers and bleating (?) at me. The 3 oldest climbed the fence into the pen and picked up the little goats. They were so funny. We watched them nurse, that was an experience in itself. They butt the udders with their little heads so hard and then they were fighting over the teats. The best part was that we got to milk a goat. It has no kids, so I don't know why it has milk, I should have asked. It was too cool! My nephew, Matt, was a pro. I got a teeny stream to come out and the kids got nothing to happen. Then they fed the milk to the kittens whose mother was killed. After the goats we went to the pig sty and all but Caitlin climbed in. They chased the pigs all over. It was a hoot to watch. I took lots of pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them. Maybe I will go to Lura's and try to get her help (hint*hint) Then the kids hung out and played football in the yard, swung from the rope in the tree, picked flowers....it was the best morning!
I hope you all have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day my friends!!!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh that sounds like such a blast!!! Daws would have loved that! I can't wait to see the pictures!! Happy Mother's Day to you too!!!

Cheryl said...

That sounds like a dream come true for Ryan. I'm not kidding he would never leave. I would pay good money for a day like that. he loves animals. Sounds like you all had a great time. Have a magical mother's day!

Jamie said...

Kids all seem to have a great love of animals. I don't know what it is, but they just can't seem to get enough of them!! I'm glad you had a great day! Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Carrie said...

Olivia would have been in heaven! She loved the goats at the zoo kast year when she was 6 months old! I can't wait see how she reacts this year!!

Char said...

oh how fun!! It sounds like the perfect morning. i can't wait to see the pictures. that would have been fun to milk a goat! how cool!