Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My post yesterday was just me blowing off some steam. I didn't mean anything offensive by it. I am just working through a lot right now with my feelings and things. I have always lived worrying about what other people thought of me and it is a hard thing to break. I received an excellent email from a friend last week that really struck a chord with me and I am going to print it out and carry it in my wallet with me so that I can read it when I need to hear it. It said a lot about worrying too much what others think. Like it or not I do care about what others think and it can be really damaging. I have a hard time expressing my opinions & feelings because I worry too much about whether or not what I say will hurt anyone. I don't want to cause hurt to ANYONE! I disagree with a very close friend about sports and kids. (You know who you are!!!!) Yesterday the conversation steered in that direction and instead of engaging in a discussion as to why she feels the way she does and I the way I do, I closed the topic. Why? Because I was worried a difference of opinion would negatively affect our 25 plus year friendship? We are each entitled to our opinion, but I felt to disagree with her would cause her to become upset and I didn't want to do that.
I know I come off weak and uneducated a lot because I don't engage in "controversial" discussions. I worry too much about hurting feelings and possibly losing friends. Like I said, I am working on it, but I am no where near where I strive to be. I would love to put a post on here about something I feel strongly about with out feeling like I needed to apologize or add a disclaimer. That is not who I am, but that is who I want to be. But I never want to get to the place where I don't care about other people's feelings at all and just be flat out rude and judgemental. I feel that there is a very fine line in that area.
I pray that eventually I will get there. I figure it is at least a good thing that I recognize this is how I am and that I have the desire to change.
Thanks for listening.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

do you feel this way about everyone or just a handful of people? If someone is a true friend you can have different opinions and agree to disagree, no big deal. people who care for you and love you don't have to feel the same way about everything you do to love you. you are a great mother going through a very hard time and you keep smiling and pulling through. not only that you continue to make other people smile. you are a very likable person believe it or not. People want to like you! It would be hard not to like you. You can not care about other peoples opinions and not be rude. You just have to be yourself, that is all anyone really wants. Try it give your opinion on something and see that no one will hate you for it. I mean you think Alan Alda is sexy, I just don't see it but I don't think any less of you. I will put a question up for everyone to answer on my blog, give your opinion and read those of others. We are all friends on here but you'll find many different answers to the same question, so what. It doesn't make any of us wrong or right, they are opinions, nothing more. You have a right to yours and that is something for you to remember. I love you and I so want you to be happy. genuinely happy!!

Crystal said...

Well, said Cher! I put my answer on your blog already.....I am always up for a good debate, I just don't take that crap so seriously......That's what makes us all unique.....we are ALL different! Embrace your unique personality, I am a dork and a ditz at times but I have learned to embrace it and have fun with it! ha I'm the butt of jokes, but who cares as long as people are laughing and having fun!

kellerie said...

you are a loving, caring person who can't stand to hurt anyone. don't be ashamed of that. the world needs more people like you.

Carrie said...

I understand how you feel. I feel the same way a lot of times. Not wanting to hurt any feelings and I sometimes find myself holding back on things I'd like to post about on my blog, but for the sake of others feelings I don't. There is a lot that I don't share because of that.

I also tend to not say much about things if I don't know much about the subject because then I would sound ignorant!

Just want to let you know I feel the same and you're not alone!

Cheryl said...

go to my blog, i want your opinion!

Unknown said...

You never come off uneducated to me!

And Tim says he would prefer Radar or maybe Potter.