Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Diversity

My life is an open book. The genre may change- some days I live trashy romance novels, some days it's horror, some days it is raw, unfiltered true drama. With me it's a toss up each morning what it will be.

At times I think my "open book policy" is a blessing, other days it is a royal pain in the butt! I don't hide my emotions well. I love with passion, I hurt deeply, joy is hard for me to disguise and so is sorrow. Long ago I learned that openly sharing things about myself can be a way God uses me. I have met wonderful people and have formed lasting bonds due to my willingness to share my experiences, my emotions, and to be accepting of other people.


I spent time considering this last night while I was on Facebook. My friends list is so diverse and each person on there is wonderful in their own way. I realized while just looking through the names that I have been blessed with great people in my life. I have countless friends who are missionaries - spending years serving God in Asia, Mexico, South America, and the U.S.. There are teachers, lawyers, doctors, muscians. I have a friend that left her job as a counselor to focus on writing full time, one who is president and founder of a very successful Celebrity PR firm in the UK and US. There is one who lives in Haiti and works for compassion international, an almost monk turned lawyer, teachers, laborers, nurses, moms, gay men, lesbians, antique dealers, Christians, aethiests..... They are all unique and wonderful people. Even Dennis, who I still have no clue who he is.

Turning down the chance at a friendship because I don't agree with a lifestyle, or religion, or any other difference would not be an option for me. You don't have to love what someone does to love them. I get teased for accepting some of the friend requests I have received on FB. There are people who were mean to me, those who I had no real friendship with growing up or who made my life miserable that friended me and I accepted most of them without hesitation. I don't regret for a minute that I did. I have been blessed with some new, surprising, and wonderful relationships! I believe that God brings people into our lives at times when he knows we will need them. That has been proven to me time and time again lately. I am so thankful for that!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Why do you have some many and such diverse friends? Because if you, you are open and accepting, a loving good friend. people can't help but love you!

kellerie said...

I second what Cheryl said.

SamandSawyersMom said...

I love Facebook too and have found a lot of great friends

I know you are referring to Facebook which is different but I do think that is is always okay to decide that we do not want to be friends with someone in real life. God wants us to love everyone but I don't believe He expects us to maintain a friendship with everyone we meet. One of the best things I did a couple of years ago was to believe that and act upon that belief. The 3-5 toxic people in my life no longer have a hold on me. That is an amazing feeling.
I love to be around people who believe differently than I do. I feel like I learn so much from them. My close friend is a die hard democrat who is almost as liberal as they get. Her quote on facebook is: "It is not premartial sex if you don't intend on ever getting marrried". I mean hello??
Anyway, I went off on something weird there but I do agree with you!

Carrie said...

If there was a "Like" button on blogger, I'd press it for this post.

Crystal said...

haha I sooo agree with Carebear!!!!